Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Book Riot 2015 Read Harder Challenge

So, to get me back into reading and writing I looked online for a challenge. I came across an oh-so-popular challenge by The Book Riot. She has some interesting categories, the challenge being to read one from each category in 2015. The link is here, if you're interested: http://bookriot.com/2014/12/15/book-riot-2015-read-harder-challenge/

As I was reading through the categories it struck me that I've already read books from so many of them. Out of 24 I could name books from 17 of them, without repeating authors. I mean, Agatha Christie alone could be several of them, so I made it a point to not use the same author twice. Sometimes the same book fit more than one category, sometimes the nature of the categories lend themselves to this. (LGBT and Indie Presses, for instance.) I think it's a very well-rounded list that took some thought and I appreciate the time and effort that she put into it.

For the challenge I'll start with the ones I haven't already read from and go from there. If it's a category I haven't read by now, then it's probably one that I'm not interested in. But then I suppose that's the point – to reach outside of our interests and try new things.

These are the categories, and the books that I've already read in them.

CategoryTitleAuthor
A book written by someone when they were under the age of 25The Mysterious Affair at StylesAgatha Christie
A book written by someone when they were over the age of 65News of a KidnappingGabriel Garcia Marquez
A collection of short stories (either by one person or an anthology by many people)For the Relief of Unbearable UrgesNathan Englander
A book published by an indie pressRolling the R'sR. Zamora Linmark
A book by or about someone that identifies as LGBTQBecoming a ManPaul Monette
A book by a person whose gender is different from your ownThe Face of a StrangerAnne Perry
A book that takes place in AsiaRed AzaleaAnchee Min
A book by an author from AfricaThe Power of OneBryce Courtenay
A book that is by or about someone from an indigenous culture (Native Americans,Aboriginals, etc.)The Bean TreesBarbara Kingsolver
A microhistory
A YA novelThe Prince of MistCarlos Ruiz Zafón
A sci-fi novelFahrenheit 451Ray Bradbury
A romance novel
A National Book Award, Man Booker Prize or Pulitzer Prize winner from the last decadeHow Late It Was, How LateJames Kelman
A book that is a retelling of a classic story (fairytale, Shakespearian play, classic novel, etc.)WickedGregory Maguire
An audiobookDeath of an Expert WitnessP.D. James
A collection of poetry
A book that someone else has recommended to youPatron Saint of LiarsAnn Patchett
A book that was originally published in another languageThe History of the Siege of LisbonJosé Saramago
A graphic novel, a graphic memoir or a collection of comics of any kind (Hi, have you metPanels?)
A book that you would consider a guilty pleasure (Read, and then realize that good entertainment is nothing to feel guilty over)Any of the 413,417,491,274 mysteries I've read
A book published before 1850
A book published this year
A self-improvement book (can be traditionally or non-traditionally considered “self-improvement”)

2 comments:

  1. Ts an interesting list of categories, I'm tempted to take up the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! There's no risk; it's just you and the list. And any friends you might include because these things are more fun with groups.

      And thank you for commenting. <3Go for it! There's no risk; it's just you and the list. And any friends you might include because these things are more fun with groups.

      And thank you for commenting. <3

      Delete

You will comment because you want to, and because I crave external validation.